Monday, August 1, 2016

You Have Plenty of Time

Lately I’ve been writing a lot here about time management. Maybe because I’m so terrible at it. After a very slow workweek and more than enough time to work on some writing projects, connect with my Scentsy customers, as well as my usual summer gardening and putting up all the peaches my trees have produced this year, I still managed to waste much of my week. My peaches are still on the trees & I didn’t complete a single writing project.

I’ve also been convicted to amp up my Bible reading and study. I love words and writing & am seeking a way to implement those loves into my Bible study, but I haven’t done any of that either. The answer came to me today as I was driving to church. I don’t know if it was the Lord speaking or my own reminder that you make time for whatever is important to you. (Haven’t I said that already in another post?)

“You have plenty of time to do everything I’ve given you to do.”

If I’m not completing all the chores on my list, it’s either because I’ve given myself too much else to do that isn’t really necessary. Or, I’m wasting too much time doing absolutely nothing.

Women, and men too, maybe, often say yes to requests when we need the nerve to say, “No, I can’t.” We shouldn’t feel compelled to babysit every time someone asks unless we have an ironclad excuse. We don’t have to agree to clean the church on our one free weekend. Or help our sister move. Or mow the neighbor’s grass. Or make brownies for our nephew’s baseball team fundraiser because his mother’s been sick and it’s her turn and she hates to let everyone down…

None of these things are wrong. In fact, they are admirable and we could probably be more giving and charitable with our time and resources. That said, there are also times we need to say no. Just plain no without feeling guilty or caving at the last minute. As women, we hate to let anyone down so we agree to help out just this once. Then we’re stressed and overwhelmed and stretched too thin, and we lash out when Hubby simply asks, “What’s for dinner?”

Or maybe that’s just me.

Today, I really believe the Lord was reminding I have plenty of time to do the things He’s given me to do. Before I jump in with a “Yes.” to every request for my time, I need to check with Him first. Life isn’t predictable and we can’t schedule every moment. Things come up, and friends need our help. But He’s given me a story to write. He’s given me grandbabies to spoil. A yard to mow. Dogs to walk. A husband to love. Peaches to pick. Books to read. Neighbors to visit. Cool breezes to caress my cheek.

Heavenly Father, help me, this day, to prioritize. Not to waste a moment. Teach me to steward my time the same as I do every other gift you’ve freely given. Not to squander time on self-pity or anger or laziness or petty grievances or unfair judgments of others. Help me to love as You love and serve those You’ve put in my path to serve. Remind me not to take on more than You would have me to do. And to do all I do with love & worship for Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment