Saturday, August 13, 2016

Lair, Lair Pants (or Pantsuit) on Fire

Don’t you hate being lied to? I can’t think of anything I hate more. Yesterday someone from the “IRS” left a message telling me they were suing me and I needed to call immediately or suffer dire consequences. What made me madder than the message was the way the non-English speaking man answered the phone with; “IRS. How may I help you?”

I’m not a violent person by any means, but I really wanted to smack him when he said that as if I believed for one minute he was who he said he was. I played dumb until he asked for my name and number so he could access my case. In hindsight, I wish I had told him I was Lois Lerner and I was surprised he didn’t know me since I was the former director of his bureau. Instead I started yelling, demanding to know how he slept at night lying to people and taking advantage of vulnerable seniors and wasn’t he ashamed and on and on until I got tired and hung up.

I know he didn’t care, but I wanted to give him at least one unpleasant call for the day.

"These six things the LORD hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren."
Proverbs 6


Nothing rankles me like dishonesty. Now that the Presidential election is upon us, we’re all getting a face full of it every day. I don’t expect politicians to be completely honest. I would be surprised if they were. I know they suffer from amnesia when confronted with the lie they told last week. They flip flop, backtrack, or conveniently “forget to tell the truth” like Archie Bunker said about Richard Nixon so many years ago. (Still funny)

But the blatant, unapologetic, in-your-face, even when the truth is irrefutable, form of lying is what really turns my stomach. Is it too much to ask that the leaders of our country at least tell part of the truth? Or after they’re caught in a lie, not say, “That’s not the way I remember it.” (How you remember it is irrelevant when we have you on tape telling your big whopper.)

"Honesty is not the best policy. It's the only policy." --Myles Munroe

I wonder if this election will be won by the candidate whose lies are the easiest for the American people to stomach. Or if every election has been won this way, and it’s gotten too glaringly obvious to ignore. The whole situation makes me sad. America used to be the nation of the world for all others to aspire to. We had a government every citizen of the world wanted to be a part of. Now, if they do, it’s only because of how easy it is to lie and cheat or bypass our laws and escape unscathed. By November I pray one of the candidates will prove themselves worthy of my vote. Or worthy of anyone's vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment