Monday, June 20, 2016

Livin' the Dream

Did you know more people suffer heart attacks on Monday mornings than at any other time? I can’t say I was surprised the first time I read that statistic. My father-in-law used to say he dreaded Sunday nights because he knew the next morning he had to get up and go to a place he hated. He did this for nearly forty years. A sad way to spend the biggest part of your life if you ask me. So what can a person do in this situation? Regardless of what Washington wants us to believe, the economy is still wretched. Millions out of work. Millions more giving up on looking for work. People with Master’s Degrees serving up iced coffees at Starbucks. Finding any job is tough. Finding one you love can be nearly impossible. You can’t just walk away from a job because you don’t like it or it doesn’t fulfill your calling, and you’re destined for greater things.

Recently I heard a man say he didn’t dislike his job, but he loved doing something else. He wanted more out of life than to spend it doing a job he didn’t hate. Maybe you don’t dread Monday mornings either. You don’t hate your job, and you’ve never really thought about leaving it. But is it what you imagined doing when you were a kid? Does that job give you an opportunity to impact your world the way you want?
I’m a true believer in doing what you were designed to do, not what pays the most and has the best benefits. We’re on this earth for such a short time. God has created each of us with specific talents and gifts for a reason. I believe it’s our responsibility to use those talents and strengths to impact our world.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to look back on a life of regrets. The if only I had… Or I wish I did…when I had the chance. What is your dream? What would you rather be doing today to impact your world than what you’re doing right now? It isn’t too late you know. If you’re still breathing—and you must be if you’re reading this—you can make a difference and begin to make each day count.

You probably can’t walk away from your job today. You probably won’t move to a different part of the world by the end of the week to pursue a dream you’ve always had. You might not even be interested in a big change, but something small that could alter the legacy you wish to leave. Whatever your dreams or ambitions, there is probably a step you can take today to get closer to them. Closer to making your life better. What will you do today to make this day count?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ---Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment