Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What do you have to offer the world, or just one person?

Most of us don’t really think of ourselves as an expert in any certain field. We haven’t discovered anything or cured anything. We haven’t built a business that employs millions or solved any great problem facing humankind. We downplay our abilities since they’re not that impressive. After all, almost anyone can balance a checkbook or raise kids or even write a blog post. We keep our heads down and try not to sound like we’re bragging in our abilities.

Recently I was asked to speak at a writers’ conference. It's been a long time since I've talked about writing. To be honest, it's been a long time since I've written much since I haven’t posted on this blog in two weeks. I like to think I have something to offer writers. I’ve been doing it a while and have met with some success with my published novels. But an expert…I don't know if I want to go that far.

I almost didn't accept the invitation. I worried I might not have anything to offer they didn’t already know. Actually I was afraid. Afraid of looking dumb in front of seasoned writers. Afraid I’d fall on my face. Afraid I’d say something stupid. Afraid everyone would see me as the fraud I thought I was.

Aren't those stupid reasons for not doing something you love?

We all have something to offer someone else. No matter your interests or abilities or experience or natural talent, you have something to offer that can benefit or impact someone else. Don't let fear or the thought that you're a phony or not as good as you think you are keep you from doing what you enjoy and from being a being a blessing to others. We tell ourselves we’re not that funny or talented or experienced. Consequently, we do nothing. Who suffers when we make that choice?

Not only do we hurt ourselves by not stretching our wings and doing what we enjoy, we hurt those we don’t help. Vanity is sometimes disguised as fear. The fear we experience when doing something outside our comfort zone is vanity. We don’t want to risk looking like a dummy when we attempt something we might fail. None of us want to fall on our face in front of witnesses.

No matter how minimal you believe your talents, someone can benefit from learning them. Even if you think everyone knows how to bake a chocolate chip cookie or housebreak a puppy or sew on a button, you will come across someone who needs your advice on the subject. I am sure there are plenty of bigger things in which you have experience.

What are you good at? What are your interests or natural talents? What have you been doing well most of your life? Parenting. Baking. Organization. Writing. Graphic design. Woodworking. Money management. Animal training. Crafts. Mechanics. Health and beauty. There is at least one area in which you could help someone else. Probably many, but for the sake of this article, let’s focus on one. Name one thing you could teach someone else. If you share your knowledge & experience with one person, you have possibly enriched them…and yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment